Monday, March 15, 2010

Kansas

Talk about your crazy weekends! Last week, I made Eddy & Des a deal. If they'd bring my little Hunter-man down to see his grandma, I'd pay for their gas. See, it's just SO much easier on ME, if they come down here. All was going along as planned, until about 11:30 Friday afternoon, when Eddy called to say he had to be at work Sat. night at 11. Try as he might to convince me they would still drive down, it just didn't make good sense. So, when I got home that afternoon, and David saw how completely devastated I was, he suggested we drive up there for the weekend! Considering that he had to work from 7 to 3 a.m., we decided I would get everything packed, then go to bed around 8 or 9, sleep til 3:30, then I'd drive to Kansas while he slept. Frightening idea, I know. Turning me loose behind the wheel, driving 5 1/2 hours with no one to direct me except our trusty (not so) GPS. With my directional skills, I could end up in Texas or somewhere like that! Anyway, try as I might to go to sleep at such an ungodly hour, I could not. Then, at 11 David called. His new job & the people there are awesome. He'd mentioned we were driving to Kansas, and going to the deployment ceremony of Eddy's unit, and his boss told him to leave at 11. She said they weren't all that busy, and there was no sense in us being on the road at 3 am. So, he got home, we loaded up BOTH DOGS, our luggage, filled our coffee cups & headed out. I'm sure no one is going to believe this, but I have SO MUCH FUN on road trips with David. We always talk, listen to music, sing, laugh...it's just so much fun. It was even more fun when I talked him into trying one of those 5 hour energy shots! He kept saying, I'll never drink another one of those! When we got to the kids apartment, we talked for just a little bit, then went to bed. When we got up, we took the kids out to breakfast. Little note about ordering a country omelet in Kansas, they come with gravy poured all over your omelet & hash browns, we had to send it back 3 times, before the waitress figured out that we didn't want gravy on anything except for the biscuits!!! Then we all piled up in the kids Corolla (yes, that was tough), and we drove to Ft. Riley. Eddy drove us all around the base, we went to the lake there, then went to the PX. I bought coffee mugs that say Army Mom & Army Dad. Then, we went back to the apartment. We had all planned on going to the ceremony at 10 that night. So we ordered Chinese food to be delivered & just visited. Then at the last minute, we found out that Eddy had to be there at 10, but the ceremony didn't start until 4 a.m. There was no way me & David could've stayed up 2 nights in a row with such little sleep, so Eddy went alone, & we stayed with Dez & I played with Hunter & David watched TV. Eddy didn't get home until 6 am. I somehow ended up with Hunter in bed snuggling with me, and when Eddy came in to get him I woke up. Then went back to sleep until 9. Since Eddy had to go back in to work at 1, and he hadn't had much sleep, and David & I needed to get on the road, we decided to load up & head out. Eddy woke up & help us tote everything back up the stairs to the truck, we said our goodbyes & headed out. I was really sad to go, but - we had a good visit, I got to see Hunter, and the kids are coming up for Easter. Plus - I hate to say this, but it's just too much to pile all of us in their tiny apartment. 4 adults, 1 baby, 2 dogs & MASSIVE STAIRS. There's a reason we always try talk them into coming home!
Anyway, we decided to take the scenic route back. We never got on the interstate. And once again, we had so much fun! We ate at this really great cafe in Kansas, or Oklahoma, or somewhere, stopped by a lake & let the dogs play, bought power ball tickets in every state...and just enjoyed the drive. We didn't get home until almost 8:00, but oh well. All in all, it was an amazing weekend. One I won't forget for a long long time! me

No comments:

Post a Comment