Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Great Flood

Since we live in NWA, in a nice little subdivision in the big old city of Centerton, you may think flooding is not so much of an issue. NOT TRUE! (Well, really it IS true, but not last night). Somewhere around 2 a.m. this morning I was roused from a very deep sleep by David saying something like "What the (not nice word) IS that?" When I pulled myself out of my slumberous stupor, I heard it too. It wasn't a nice quiet little beeping noise, it wasn't a telephone ringing, or an alarm clock accidentally set to TWO A.M. & blaring...nor was it the fire alarm. I crawled out of bed, tried to find the light switch, tripped over Lady the sleeping dog, about killed myself in the process & finally, finally got the lights on. Now this sound was similar to something between a tornado siren & what I believe the air raid system from my grandparents days might have sounded like. I could NOT figure out what it was or where it was coming from. I did however determine that it was definitely coming from inside our bedroom, and not another area of the house. Finally after MUCH investigation (and yes it was VERY loud, but remember, I just woke up) I found the source of the problem. A couple years ago the city gave everyone a handy dandy little weather radio. We realized real quick that thing would go off for anything & everything, so I unplugged it, turned it off & shoved it way back on the computer desk & forgot about it. Someone must have moved some books or papers around & accidentally turned it on. (Those are some REALLY REALLY good long lasting batteries, don't ya think?). Anyway, our weather radio was sounding the alarm! And when I looked on the screen, the warning was....FLOOD - FLOOD-FLOOD! So, without further ado, I promptly turned it off, removed said amazing batteries, and took myself back to the bed & tried to go back to sleep! (But not before I went outside to make sure the patio furniture wasn't floating away). Me

1 comment:

  1. Hmm.... wish I had been there to see that! Wish I had gotten it on video.
    Think we could have won $10,000

    ReplyDelete