Friday, October 16, 2009

Surgery For Boogie The Duckdog

We've had a scary couple of days at the Allen household. Wednesday when David picked me up from work, he said Boogie wasn't feeling well & that she'd been throwing up all day. I didn't think much about it, went home, cooked dinner - she seemed okay to me. Until - she started getting sick. And KEPT getting sick. I'm a firm believer that you can find out any & every thing on the trusty Internet, so I fired up our computer at home & started doing searches. 2 1/2 hours later, I'd diagnosed that she had heart failure, liver cancer, brain cancer, stomach ulcers, OR she just had a virus, you name it, I found it on the internet. NOTE TO SELF: When you're worried about a family member or pet that is sick, do not, I repeat, DO NOT do random searches on the internet about their symptoms. It will only make YOU sick in the process. By Thursday morning, I was on the phone with the Vet at 7:30 am. Our appointment was for 9. By 10:30, we were kissing Boogie goodbye & telling her she'd be just fine, as she was on her way in to SURGERY! Dr. Halbert did an X-Ray & thought she'd swallowed something. As it turns out, no she didn't. But she did have the beginnings of something I can't pronounce, let alone spell & it was a good thing we let them do the surgery after all. We had to pick her up at 6 last night & transport her to the emergency animal hospital in Springdale where they kept her over night to administer pain meds & antibiotics in her IV & just basically keep a good close watch on her. Our vet called at 11pm last night to let us know she'd called the hospital to get a report on Boogie & she was doing okay. 4:30 this morning? We're up drinking coffee & getting dressed to head BACK to Springdale by 6am, to pick Boogie back up & take her back to our vets to spend the day. I feel like a shuttle service/ambulance for canines! Really, I'm just kidding. The sweetest thing I've seen in a long time happened this morning when Boogie looked up at David & he said How's my girl? and she just leaned into him & her tail was wagging like crazy! She has total trust in that man & her world revolves completely around him & him alone. Later in the truck I told him that, and also, that whether he believed it or not, I felt the same way about him. He just smiled. Hopefully all goes well with her today & we can take her home tonite & take care of her ourselves. Right now, I'm running on zero to little sleep, and feel like a zombie, so that's about it - for now. me

No comments:

Post a Comment