Monday, August 24, 2009

Overview of Our Weekend...

Do you know what's great about Monday? Looking back at the past 2 1/2 days (yes, I count Friday evening as part of the weekend), and feeling good about how we spent our precious time together at home. For those that don't know us, we are not an adventurous family...so don't expect hiking the Himalayas or jumping out of airplanes, or feeding the homeless in Africa. That being said....we had a good weekend. Friday evening Dez & I made fried chicken & mashed potatoes & gravy for dinner. I called & invited Britt (what’s a little harmless bribery?) but she had to work. Then David, Dez & I made a trip to Wally World to pick up some junk. We also spent part of Friday night online, looking up tips to train Boogie & found out that we should’ve started training her with a whistle from the very beginning. So, Saturday morning we were off to Tractor Supply to purchase said whistle for his future training sessions with Boogie. Let me just say, I at first I thought the duck calls were loud & going to drive me crazy, then I saw a commercial on TV for a free call from RNT down in Stuttgart & ordered it as a surprise...turns out it was some kind of goose call (MUCH louder than a duck call)...but now I know that there is something even louder still....and that is a training whistle! Of course the minute we got in the truck he had to open it & try it out - inside the truck with the windows rolled up. Let me tell you, my ears are STILL ringing, and I MUCH prefer the duck calls! And crazy? Well, I’m already there! We also made a trip to Missouri to purchase our regular $10 in scratch off tickets…and no – we were not winners! Then it was home to work a little on the home made blueberry wine we’re experimenting with. Other than very messy, sticky & time consuming, I think we’ve got it mastered. I’ll let you know in a few weeks how it turns out! The rest of the day was pretty uneventful, mostly because late that afternoon I announced that I would LOVE a little nap…and then, well, the rest is history. We did wake up BRIGHT & early Sunday morning…our bodies would not allow us to sleep another minute. After breakfast we decided to take Boogie to the lake & work her in the water. I am SO glad we did. The water was absolutely perfect. Not too cold at all, just right. She did so good too! Some little kids & their dad came down to watch her swim out & fetch the dummies. David even let the kids throw a few (because they wouldn’t shut up & stop asking). I was a little nervous for her. We had quite the audience there at the end. Crowds of people tend to make her want to show out & not obey very well. BUT-she did amazing. She even did a double retrieve & didn’t miss a beat! After she worked & played & got a bath & swam til her heart was content we got out & went & sit at the picnic table for a rest. It was then that we noticed a crowd gathering at the water’s edge. It was a church group there to celebrate the baptism of three young boys. David & I quietly witnessed it all take place from our picnic table & I sent up a prayer of thanks to God that we got to share a small part of their very special day. We left the lake with a smile in our hearts & one VERY tired puppy! Later in the afternoon my mom, sister & niece came by for a short visit. Then the rest of the day was spent on laundry & getting ready for the work week. Sunday evenings are reserved at our house. Britt usually comes over with her laundry & we (the girls) watch Drop Dead Diva & Army Wives together. I’ll use any excuse I can to get to spend time with my daughter & am not ashamed to say that we have cable & she doesn’t. SO – if I can’t bribe her with fried chicken, I am defiantly not above bribing her with cable TV & her favorite shows. When it was 10 minutes til showtime, I finally called to see where she was & it turns out she had to work last night too! All was not lost though, she did come by on her break to give momma & daddy a hug & let us know she’s doing fine in her new apartment. She’s also lost quite a bit of weight & is looking beautiful (although that’s the only way she ever looks to me, BEAUTIFUL). We are so proud of her making it on her own, though it may take me a while to tell her so. I’m just still not used to her being gone (and THAT'S another post in itself too). This whole "circle of life" thing is going to take some getting used to, of that I'm sure! Well, enough rambling for one sitting....I'll be back later for more...me

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited that you are blogging!!! When exactly were you going to tell me?????
    I miss you.
    Char

    ReplyDelete