Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Remembering 9/11



Sunday morning David & I watched the tributes to 9/11 as we had our coffee & woke up together. I can not put into words the sadness I felt as I watched children read the names of those who died, then read the name of their father/mother, sister, brother, aunt uncle, or one close to them. David went in to take a shower & I just sat there, watching. At one point with tears rolling down my face, I said, "David they are still on the C's!" It had been over half an hour, and they were still naming, alphabetically, those lost in the tragedy our nation faced exactly ten years ago Sunday. One of the questions we heard over & over was, do you remember what you were doing when you found out? I was working in advertising at the newspaper, the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. I was running late that morning & had the news on in my bedroom as I got ready for work. David was out on the truck. The kids were already in school. I watched the news anchor deliver the news that something had happened to one of the World Trade Center Towers, they weren't sure what, an accident, an explosion of some kind??? Then, I watched on live TV as the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower, and there was no longer any question that this was an accident. We, our great country, was under attack. My heart stopped. I rushed to work. Our paper ran a special edition that day, that was handed out for free on the street corners & at intersections in Fayetteville. I still have a copy of that release. I remember waiting for 2 hours, just to put gas in my car. I remember calling & calling David, trying to wake him up to tell him our nation was under attack. I remember feeling fear, anger, sadness. I remember being afraid for my children, and for my husband, could he get home to us, to protect us? So many emotions, but none of them good. And then later, in the aftermath of it all, I remember feeling pride. Pride at how our nation came together. Pride in our country, and it's leader George W Bush. And I still feel that pride, ten years later. I am proud to be an American. me

No comments:

Post a Comment