Friday, December 18, 2009

A little bit of catch up


Happy Friday everybody! I'm sorry I haven't blogged in like - FOREVER - but for the first time ever, I have a REAL honest to goodness excuse! You see, Hunter Lee is at my house! And, he has been since Monday afternoon. AND, he WILL be, until the Sunday after Christmas. And anybody that's a new grandma knows, you can't waste time typing your blog when your brand new GRANDSON is at your house! (Just for the record, you also can't waste time cleaning, doing laundry, cooking, putting up Christmas decorations or Christmas shopping!) Yes, I did just admit that I do not have my Christmas tree up yet. And it's oh, only December 18th! Christmas is one week from today. ONE WEEK. And did I also just admit that I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet? Not that I have a lot to do this year. We have decided to buy for the children only. I am going to put to the test the phrase I've heard every year for 20 years from family members that said, "Oh, you don't have to get us anything, Christmas is about spending time with your family, not spending money on gifts". I'll let you know how that all works out, okay? So I want to document a little bit about when Hunter was born, because now that I'm a grandma my memory is starting to fail me, and by the time he's a year old, I don't want to say, who are you? when were you born? was I there? hee hee. So last Monday (December 7, 2009) Desiree had a doctors appt. She hadn't been in 3 weeks, because they were moving to Kansas, and her dr's office forgot to fax the paperwork to her new doctor, so when she went to her first appt the week before that they reschedule it (to wait on the fax) and sent her home. Well when she went in, her blood pressure was up- way up. So instead of sending her on her merry way, they sent her & Eddy straight to the hospital. (Yes, Eddy was with her. Her appt was at 2 that day, and at noon, they approved him for what the Army calls DITY leave....which refers to their move -"Do It Yourself" leave. He was gonna be off 10 whole days to get everything unpacked & moved into their apartment). So they call me & let me know they're going to the hospital. AND THEY WERE SCARED TO DEATH. But you know me, I'm keeping it cool. And I'm telling them and myself, that it's just a precaution, and they will watch her for a little bit and send her home. So I go about my workday (No, I don't prepare & bring stuff home just in case). And I go home at 4:30. And we talk to Eddy every 15 minutes for the next 5 hours. And, I call EVERYBODY -and let them know what's going on. Every time Eddy calls, it's to tell us that Dez's blood pressure is still going up, even though they're giving her medicine to bring it down. At about 8pm, I call Brittni. To tell her if she wants to go with us, even though we probably aren't going anywhere, cuz the baby probably isn't coming right now, that she should probably come to our house when she gets off work at 11. Just. in. case. At 9:30 the phone rang. It was Eddy. and - they've decided they have to get Hunter out of there NOW. They've decided that Dez has preclampsyia and that it's dangerous for her & the baby. Hey - did you hear me? THE BABY IS COMING!!!! THE BABY IS COMING!!!! And my kids are 5 1/2 hours away! And I don't have a bag packed. And Brittni is still at work. And what am I going to do with the dogs? And WTF just happened? So, needless to say it's a total madhouse. But, within 30-45 minutes we were on the road. I can't breathe. Eddy is calling wanting to know where we are every few minutes, he doesn't like it when I say, oh, Bella Vista, we'll be there in 5 hours & 20 minutes! BUT - we won't. Because guess what? In Kansas City we hit snow. Then the snow turned to ICE. Then traffic slowed to a crawl. THEN, the traffic in front of us started running off the road. BIG TRUCKS we're sliding in the ditch. A Kansas state trooper bounced off the concrete divider in front of us. Then, then - we were the ONLY VEHICLE on the road. And we were going maybe 20 mph. And David says, "We're not gonna make it, we're going to have to get a hotel room & wait until daylight". And I said (through gritted teeth & kinda with an exorcist growl) just keep driving - we are not stopping. Needless to say, several hours later, we were in Manhattan. Thanks to my husband & his driving skills. I'd been talking to Eddy every 30 minutes. And at about 4, Des called. She said, "hey, whatcha doin?" just like she was at a party or something. I couldn't believe how good she sounded. I asked her if she was hurting, and she said not too bad. I told her we were almost there. Then, we were on the road right before the turnoff to the road to the hospital, and my phone rang. And it was Eddy - with Hunter SCREAMING in the background. He was here! And, we missed it - by 10-15 minutes. David was disappointed that we were at least at the hospital when he was born. But it really wouldn't have mattered if we were. Because of the flu & swine flu epidemic, they wouldn't let ANYONE except Eddy, past the waiting room. For the whole time they were in the hospital. So when we got there, Eddy came out. His eyes were so red from crying and he was shaking soooo bad. And he showed us a video of them cleaning Hunter up & weighing him, and Dez holding him for the first time, and then Eddy holding him for the first time. Wait - right here I have to say thank you to my husband. Because when we were deciding what to get them for the baby shower, we knew we wanted to get them that digital camera. But I thought it'd make a better Christmas gift, and David talked me into going ahead & getting it then, even though we really couldn't afford it right then. THANK YOU David, because if we would have waited- it would have been too late & we'd missed all those videos & pictures. And since videos & pictures were all I had for 2 1/2 days....well yeah. You were right. After we stayed in the waiting room with Eddy for a little bit, he gave us the keys to his apartment & sent us to his house to get some rest. I think I'll stop right here for now and get to work. Next post to come soon....me. Oh, and the picture? That's as we're walking in the hospital at 4:45 A.M. See the snow???? me

No comments:

Post a Comment