Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Birthday

So yesterday was my birthday. Birthday's are different when you're old, did you know that? I mean really. Since our kids have grown up, it's not really been about presents anymore-and I'm okay with that! Instead, we each have a "cake". A certain type that is our favorite. Britt's is white cake-chocolate icing. Eddy's is white cake, white icing. David's is chocolate-chocolate (or any kind really, he doesn't care much at all-as long as there's ice cream to go with it). And mine? Mine is chocolate cake, white icing. How crazy is that? Then, before we cut the cake, we all stand around & sing Happy Birthday to the birthday person. It's really pretty simple - and sweet. Since mine & Eddy's birthday are on the same day, and we have different cakes, the poor girls usually end up having to make two. And yesterday they did. When I got home they had streamers & balloons hung up in the kitchen, and each of us a cake made. There were cards to open, "Happy Birthday's" to sing. Hunter man even sang with us! It was really nice & it reminded me, that no matter what is going on in our little world here, there is a handful of people in my life that TRULY love ME!
Thank you guys for trying so hard to make it special - it was.

BUT - I had a crappy day! Eddy & Des needed the truck to haul some stuff for their new house, so Des took me to work. That left me trapped there all day & honestly, yesterday was one of those days I needed to get out for an hour at lunch. My friend (and boss) Terri brought in birthday cupcakes & an awesome cheese cake tray for me. It was sweet that she remembered. My friend Sherry gave me not one, but TWO birthday cards (one sweet, one funny, said she couldn't decide! Ha). Of course David was the FIRST one to wish me a Happy 42nd birthday! Then my mom called, Brenda called, my aunt Bev called, my sister called, my dad called....Britt even called at 7a.m. - all to wish me happy birthday. (It's SO nice to be thought of and remembered)

But here's the thing. I think my parents RUINED me. They scarred me for life. Because somehow, for the past week, I've thought..."It's almost my birthday!" It's like I feel like something special and monumental should happen because it's MY day! When I was a little girl, it WAS like that. The whole day revolved around ME! I don't remember having to do any chores. I remember getting to pick out what I wanted for dinner. I remember it being different. At least if FELT different. Yesterday - didn't. Yes, I got lots of birthday wishes. Yes I got my 'special' cake. A couple people said Happy B-day on facebook. But nothing was different.

Work was still hard. Awful in fact. It started off with one of those "you need to be on the phone more, work harder, make more calls, make more money" kind of emails. Then one of my dealers put a check in regular mail instead of over night, and that's gonna cost me about $750 on my next paycheck. The micro managing side of work went way over board yesterday. And I had just about had it by the time David picked me up & I got home.

Eddy & Des wanted to take me out for dinner to celebrate. But all I wanted to do was change my clothes, eat my cake & go to bed! And that's pretty much what I did. There was so many mean & hateful things going on in my head about "It's MY BIRTHDAY!"....why didn't...(insert numerous stupid things here)...this morning....looking back...reflecting on my day yesterday, I am SO glad I kept all those stupid things in MY HEAD! It was a GOOD day. A WONDERFUL Birthday. My family & friends love & remembered me. We're all healthy & happy. We have jobs, a home, food, heat, clothing, love & each other. And really, what could possibly make a birthday better than that? Til next time....me

No comments:

Post a Comment