Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Soldier's Home







So we got to pick Eddy up from the airport in Tulsa Monday night. His flight came in at 11. It made for a long long night & a hard day at work, but let me tell you it was worth it! I miss him so much when he's gone. And when he's here, there's so much for him to do and so many people to see, it flies by like you wouldn't believe. We left the airport & everyone was hungry, so we stopped at Waffle House. The reason I mention this is because of what happened there. The four of us ate & visited and then the waitress brought us our ticket. It was $38 total. Eddy looked at her & asked her if they offered a "military discount", and she said, we sure do! Give me your ticket back. When she brought us our new ticket, it was $13 and some change!! She thanked Eddy for his service to our great country, said drinks were free & meals were 1/2 off! I just think that is great & amazing that places help our soldiers & their families out like that-and that the story was worth telling.


Next: David, both his brothers, and his mom took off yesterday morning at 6 a.m. to go visit his cousin Barbara Lee in Texas. I'm sure I've said this before, but she is absolutely my very favorite cousin out of all of David's cousins. And, she is very very sick. She has cancer, and is back in the hospital & they're not sure if she's gonna make it this time. David & his family all are very close & they just felt like they needed to go put their arms around her. I wasn't able to go, I had to work, but that's ok. I'm sure their little road trip brought back lots of childhood memories for all four of them. And it may be the last time that the four of them have an opportunity to take a road trip & spend time together like that.


Since David was gone last night & my soldier was home, Eddy & Dez took me out to dinner, just us three. We went to the Celtic Grill, (which is probably my favorite place to eat). We had such a good time. We laughed and joked & talked for a couple hours. Then we stopped at the video store on the way home & rented a couple movies & sat up late watching movies together. I had to catch myself a couple times...I wish nights like that could last forever.


Tomorrow: Tomorrow we are leaving for Stuttgart. We will be gone for 10 whole days! I really REALLY need the break. Saturday morning is opening day of duck season, I'm sure I'll have lots of pictures to share when I get back. We went down to David's dad's last weekend. I walked in the door from work & David said "You wanna go to dad's for the weekend?" Since Eddy wasn't coming in on Saturday as planned (They shut Ft. Eustis down because of Hurricane Ida, and he couldn't graduate until Monday morning), and since it was David's birthday, and since we had ZERO plans for the weekend, I said "sure". We threw some things in a suitcase, loaded Boogie in her kennel & took off. Let me just say this - I drove. When we got on 540 heading south, every thought, every worry, every stress, just left me. I didn't think about work, I didn't worry about money, nothing. We got down there about 11:30, visited a while & went to bed. The next day we got in the big flat bottom boat, and all three of us rode down the bayou. It is BEAUTIFUL. I have pictures. I'll put them on my next post. Anyway, for the entire weekend, I didn't have a care in the world. We had SO MUCH FUN! And I was at peace. Until we hit about Fayetteville on our way home. Then, it was back to normal. Life! It's something, isn't it? me

No comments:

Post a Comment